Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Getting sorted on Pottermore

I actually signed up for Pottermore quite a while ago, I think right around when it opened up to the public. My plan was to play with it a bit, write a review of it, and then play with it some more. Instead, I obsessed over it for several hours straight to get to the house sorting (because OMG I needed to know!), then forgot to write a review, and also forgot to go back on Pottermore for a while.

But now, I'm back to playing with Pottermore, and it's time to tell you about it! That is, assuming there are still Harry Potter fans who have not yet jumped at the chance to be sorted and read new content from J.K. Rowling.

So, this is how my initial experience with Pottermore went. Up until the sorting, you basically follow Harry's story. Along the way, you can click on various things in the scenes to unlock explanations, as well as new content. The new content is what makes Pottermore amazing. You get to learn more about Lily and Petunia's childhood, how Petunia and Vernon met, and much more. It's enough to make anyone starved for more Potter squee with joy.

After a couple hours of this (I was very thorough, so it took me a while to move through the story), I finally got to the sorting. Finally! The moment I've been waiting for since the first time I read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, over a decade ago! It was time for me to take my rightful place in Ravenclaw!



I was so sure, you see, that I would be in Ravenclaw. I've always been studious, curious, a lover of books and learning, and not really all that courageous (Gryffindor never really spoke to me).

To be sorted on Pottermore, you answer a series of questions that are supposed to determine which house you're best suited for. They're not like a lot of online quizzes, that you can easily fix the outcome of. Some of the questions are quite subtle. But I was still sure, as I answered some of the questions, that surely I was picking the Ravenclaw ones (not that I tried to affect the outcome or anything, I just felt that my choices were Ravenclaw-like).

Then I got the result.

I'm not in Ravenclaw.

I'm in Slytherin.


You've never seen such drama as I demonstrated upon receiving this news. There was much wailing, and "woe is me"ing, and "how could this happen to me"ing. It was all very emotional.

After I had a chance to calm down, I read on. I read the letter from the house prefect. She told me all about Slytherin, and how misunderstood the house is, and how Merlin himself was a Slytherin. I read all about how Slytherins care about the traditions and honour of their house, and how we always stick up for each other. And seriously, have you seen their common room? So nice!

Suddenly, I didn't feel so bad about being a Slytherin. I think it's time to take pride in my new house. (Which, by the way, is currently winning in terms of house points.) It's time to knit some green and silver scarves.

If you're on Pottermore, add me as a friend! I'm GlowLumos7036.

4 comments:

  1. I got Ravenclaw, though I was genuinely curious and wasn't hoping for anything! I don't really spend much time on Pottermore anymore, but when I do, I do like brewing potions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like brewing potions, too; it's way harder and more involved that I thought it would be! It took me like 4 tries to get the practice potion right.

      Delete
  2. Lol! Now I want to get on Pottermore! I want to know which house I'd be sorted in. I love your pictures. They made me laugh quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm glad! They pretty much perfect fit my emotions at the time! You should definitely sign up, if only for the sorting experience. :)

      Delete